Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting YEOVIL NEWS to 80360 or email us
Eye surgeon who worked at Yeovil is struck off
3:00pm Thursday 17th October 2013 in News
AN eye surgeon who blinded three patients as a result of operations he carried out at Yeovil District Hospital has been struck off.
Frenchman Dr Philippe Leynaud, 62, was contracted by the East Somerset NHS Trust to perform cataract surgeries between November, 2002, and January, 2003, as an ‘overseas treatment doctor’ in a bid to cut waiting lists.
He has not practised in the UK since January, 2003, but the trust referred him to the General Medical Council in 2004 following retrospective concerns about the quality of his treatment.
Four of his patients later received compensation after three lost the sight in an eye and one was left “severely visually impaired”.
A report in April, 2006, found Leynaud’s performance to be unacceptable in three areas, and in October, 2007, a panel concluded that his fitness to practise was “impaired by deficient professional performance”.
A fitness to practise panel reviewing the case in October, 2010, gave him a chance to address these deficiencies by imposing conditional registration for three years, but at a Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service hearing in Manchester last week a panel decided to erase his name from the medical register.
Ciaran Rankin, representing the GMC, said: “He has offered no evidence, despite having been given ample opportunity to do so over the course of six years, that he has accepted or acted on the deficiencies in his practice, or of the potential consequences of those deficiencies for patient safety and the reputation of the profession.
“The panel has concluded that these departures from good medical practice pose a serious risk to patients and the public interest, and are, therefore, so serious as to be fundamentally incompatible with continued registration.”
Yeovil District Hospital has welcomed the decision.
A spokesman said: “We’re pleased the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service has imposed this robust sanction having reviewed Dr Leynaud’s fitness to practise in the UK and following concerns which we proactively raised in 2004.
“Dr Leynaud worked at this hospital more than ten years ago as a locum consultant, having been offered to us via a specialist agency. He worked with us for just eight days.
“When retrospective concerns were raised about the quality of his treatment we took immediate action to examine the care he had provided.
“We then proactively referred him to the GMC in order that a comprehensive investigation into his fitness to practise could take place.
“While we understand the GMC didn’t suspend him at that time Dr Leynaud didn’t work at our hospital again.
“We also commissioned our own thorough, independently-led investigation into the treatment he had provided, and took all appropriate actions to revisit all his previous cases and prioritise necessary follow-up care.
“We’re absolutely committed to ensuring that those working at our hospital provide the very best care.
“Wherever we have concerns about the ability of clinical staff we’ll always take swift and appropriate action, including alerting the relevant professional regulatory bodies.”
Leynaud, who did not go to the hearing and has no plans to practise in the UK again, will be struck off the register within 28 days of receiving the decision unless he appeals.
Comments are closed on this article.