A SUPERSLIMMER from Chard has beaten off the pounds and says if she can do it, so can you.
Hayley Burridge piled on the weight before she became pregnant with her son George in 2011.
But, after a plan of healthy eating and exercise, she has turned her life around and lost more than five stone to reach her desired weight of 9st 11lb.
Hayley said: “The biggest motivation to lose weight for me was when I was pregnant.
“I was already overweight when I fell pregnant and it was simply an excuse for me to eat. “My appetite knew no bounds and I had gained a stone within the first few weeks and six months into the pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
“Not only did this endanger my life, but the life of my child as well. Suddenly, this wasn’t just about me and the way I looked – it was a serious health issue.”
When George was six weeks old, Hayley, who is now a Weightwatchers leader in Chard, joined her closest weight loss group.
She said: “I instantly felt at home and no longer felt isolated and ashamed.
“Losing the weight is one thing but maintaining it is quite another. I’m just so much more aware now of the foods that pile on the calories but actually have no value compared to those that are healthy and genuinely filling.
“But it’s not just about me, it’s about my family too. My ultimate goal is to pass on healthy eating habits to my son which hopefully will then be passed down through further generations.”
HAYLEY’S TOP TIPS FOR LOSING WEIGHT
- Set realistic targets – Weight doesn’t go on overnight and it doesn’t come off overnight.
- Don’t beat yourself up – If you fall at an early hurdle, just pick yourself up and get straight back on it.
- Get a smaller plate – it’s a simple trick but it really works.
- Drink plenty of water – often people mistake hunger for thirst. You’ll be amazed how a glass of water will satisfy a hunger craving.
- Get fit – the more calories you are prepared to burn, the more you can eat!
- Cut down on the booze – particularly lager and cider which were my downfall. They are packed with calories.
- Plan your meals in advance each day – if you do this, you are less likely to go off piste.
- Don’t do it alone – you are much more likely to achieve success by losing weight with others who can provide support.