Glovers fight back to earn Charlton draw

Yeovil Express: ISHMAEL Miller scores from the spot ISHMAEL Miller scores from the spot

SkyBet Championship

Yeovil Town 2, Charlton Athletic 2 

YEOVIL Town came from 2-0 down to salvage a draw against 10-man Charlton Athletic at Huish Park - and extend their unbeaten run to three matches.

Midfield duo Cameron Stewart and Johnnie Jackson gave the visitors a 2-0 lead at the break, before an own goal and Ishmael Miller penalty in a five minute flurry twenty minutes from time earned Yeovil a draw.

Charlton captain Jackson saw red for a tackle on Luke Ayling, but Chris Powell’s side held on for a share of the spoils.

Despite a slow opening ten minutes it was the hosts who got the first attempt on goal when John Lundstram’s dipping half volley from 25 yards flew narrowly over Ben Alnwick’s crossbar.

The Charlton keeper was then forced in to two comfortable saves from Miller and Liam Davis respectively as the Glovers looked to find some attacking impetus.

Cameron Stewart, on loan to Charlton from Hull City, proved to be the Addicks’ best attacking outlet in the opening 45 minutes and he forced Chris Dunn into a stunning full-stretch save after cutting in from the left flank midway through the first half.

Yeovil didn’t take heed of the warning however and the 22-year-old gave the visitors the lead with 38 minutes on the clock, successfully cutting in from the left before curling an effort past Dunn.

With the hosts stunned, Charlton doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Stewart turned provider to tee up captain Johnnie Jackson.

The winger’s lofted ball to the back post was met by Jackson who made the most of lapse marking to head home a second Addicks goal.

Gary Johnson made two changes at the break looking for a way back into the match with James Hayter and Kevin Dawson taking to the field in place of Adam Morgan and John Lundstram respectively.

The replacements gave the hosts an initial lift as Joe Edwards lashed an effort just over the bar from the edge of the box, but Charlton almost added a third when Jordan Cousins’ bending effort from range drifted narrowly wide.

In what was a frustrating afternoon the Glovers had two penalty appeals in quick succession turned down by referee Craig Pawson, leaving strike duo Miller and Hayter feeling hard done by.

As Yeovil pressed in search of a way back into the match Charlton began to profit from a stretched home defence as Simon Church’s acrobatic effort was clawed away by the alert Dunn.

The Glovers did receive a lifeline with a little under 20 minutes remaining when Joel Grant’s cross from the left was deflected into his own net by Michael Morrison, revitalising a dejected looking home outfit.

Things got better for the hosts when Joel Grant was felled in the box by substitute Andy Hughes just four minutes later, providing striker Miller with the chance to level the score from the spot which the Nottingham Forest loanee managed in emphatic style.

Chris Powell’s stunned Addicks’ were left further perplexed just a minute after the restart when goal scorer Jackson received a straight red card for a two footed tackle on Glovers right-back Luke Ayling.

With momentum and a numerical advantage Gary Johnson’s side pressed for a winner in the closing stages but ultimately had to settle for a share of the spoils as they remain in the relegation zone two points from safety.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree