AN ELDERLY man was given oxygen therapy after a small fire at his home in Yeovil.

Fire crews were called to a sheltered accommodation bungalow in Milford Park at 3.18pm.

Carers raised the alarm with the fire service as they were unable to get hold of the occupant and confirm the cause. 

However, shortly after arriving, the crew confirmed there had been a small fire, involving a saucepan on the hob, which was out on arrival.

The elderly male occupant required oxygen therapy from the fire service after suffering slight smoke inhalation, which in turn had aggravated his asthma.

After leaving the gentleman in the care of paramedics, the crew made the area safe and ventilated the property, using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The fire, which started accidentally, was confined to the saucepan and cooking only and so damage was minimal.

The gentleman did not need to be taken to hospital.