A CHARD man who sexually assaulted a “vulnerable” young woman in the street after she rejected his request to be his girlfriend could be facing a prison sentence.

Carlos Sanchez approached the victim in Chard town centre, grabbed her arm and pushed her against a wall before trying to kiss her.

She managed to get away but CCTV images showed the defendant running after her before picking her up with both his hands on her breasts.

The 36-year-old defendant, of Holyrood Street, was brought before Somerset Magistrates in custody after being arrested by the police.

He pleaded guilty that on January 22 at Chard he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over, and it was sexual when she did not consent.

Prosecutor Christine Hart said that the victim knew the defendant vaguely, and on the day in question was outside the Portuguese café in Fore Street with a friend.

“She recognised Sanchez and he approached her and gave her a hug but she pushed him away and left the café,” she said.

“She walked away and was followed by the defendant who engaged her in conversation about whether she would be his girlfriend.

“He then grabbed her arm, pushed her against a wall and tried to kiss her but she managed to get away and went into a nearby bank.”

Miss Hart said the victim was described as “vulnerable” with significant development issues and CCTV covering the whole incident was recovered by the police which showed Sanchez following her.

“He then put his right hand out to her and tried to put his arm around her shoulder but when she tried to walk across the road he ran after her,” she said.

“He was then seen carrying the complainant with her back on his chest and his hands were on her breasts. He then touched her genital area over her clothing.”

Defending solicitor Jeffrey Bannister said that his client claimed he had no recollection of what happened that day.

“He saw the CCTV and that didn’t even jog his memory, and he says he has absolutely no fantasies about this woman at all,” he said.

“He had been drinking heavily and knows he needs to address that issue.”

The magistrates said the case was so serious that they would need the assistance of a pre sentence report prepared by the Probation Service.

They adjourned the matter until February 15 for that to be carried out and instructed that all options should be considered in the report, including custody.

Sanchez was ordered to return to the court at Yeovil on that date to be sentenced and in the meantime was released on conditional bail on the understanding he does not contact the victim directly or indirectly.