A WOMAN was rescued from a fire in a Taunton flat last night (June 11).

Three fire crews, two from Taunton and one from Bridgwater, were called to the incident, in Duke Street, at just before 8pm.

"On arrival, crews confirmed there was smoke issuing from a first floor window," said a spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

"Crews gained entry to the property with 2 breathing apparatus wearers and 1 hose reel jet to search. 

"1 female was rescued, conscious and breathing but suffering significant smoke inhalation.  An ambulance was requested to attend.

"This was a fire in a 3 storey block of flats, measuring approx 40m by 15m.  The fire was located within the bathroom of the property.

"The fire was extinguished using 4 breathing apparatus wearers, 2 hose reel jets, 1 safety jet and a thermal imaging camera."

The female was given first aid by fire crews before the arrival of ambulance and then taken to hospital, the spokesperson said.

The bathroom was 100% damaged by fire and the rest of the property was 75% damaged by heat and smoke.