YEOVIL were left to count the cost of a host of missed chances as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Watford on Tuesday night (February 18).

The Glovers squandered a number of golden opportunities throughout the night, but manager Gary Johnson remained upbeat, despite failing to win for the sixth home game in succession.

He said: “Other than scoring the goal, nothing disappointed me about that performance. I saw a lot of endeavour and work rate, and that’s the sort of game that gives me confidence for the rest of the season.

“Today gives me confidence that we can go to QPR, to Reading and to Wigan and nick a point or two.”

Both sides had goals ruled out for offside in the early stages, before Joe Edwards squandered a chance to put the Glovers ahead.

In the second half, the home side started to dominate but neither James Hayter nor Kieffer Moore could find a decisive touch when in promising positions.

Then in injury time Watford saw claims for a penalty waved away after appearing to handle the ball inside the area.

Midfielder Joe Ralls was similarly pleased after the match and highlighted the importance of a victory over Doncaster this weekend.

He said: “We made sure we limited their chances. It is a good point against a good side that like to come and dominate sides. We know we’ve got to go and try and get the three points on Saturday [against Doncaster].”

A bright start for the Glovers was almost rewarded when Ishmael Miller turned a Joe Edwards shot past Manuel Almunia in the Watford goal, but home celebrations were cut short by the linesman’s flag.

Both sides traded long range efforts with Tom Lawrence looking most dangerous for Yeovil, before Alex Merkel placed the ball past Marek Stech on his Watford debut - but the offside flag had long been raised for offside.

In the 15th minute came the key chance of the half, as slick build up play on the edge of the Watford box ended with Lawrence dancing past Almunia before pulling back to Edwards, who could only stab his effort wide of the post.

After the break Yeovil began to dominate proceedings, helped in part by some questionable Watford defending, as they sloppily gifted possession away on more than one occasion.

In the 48th minute Hayter was played through on goal by Edwards, but his low shot was well saved by Almunia.

Despite plenty of endeavour, Yeovil struggled to create many clear cut chances while Watford were restricted to occasional counter attacks.

But the final five minutes presented opportunities for both sides to grab all three points – Kieffer Moore could only connect with thin air after being teed up by Ralls, before Watford had a penalty appeal waved away after a Faraoni cross appeared to strike Jamie McAllister on the arm.