Yeovil Town’s survival hopes were dealt a sizeable blow after losing 4-1 at home to fellow strugglers Barnsley at Huish Park.

After a goalless first half the Tykes stormed into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Chris O’Grady and Liam Lawrence after defensive errors from the hosts.

Luke Ayling grabbed a goal back for the Glovers but a second from O’Grady and a superb solo effort from Jennings secured a comfortable victory for the visitors, as Yeovil delved further into the relegation mire.

With so much emphasis on the importance of the match prior to kick-off perhaps anxiety played a part in a largely fruitless opening 45 minutes at Huish Park, as both sides struggled to retain possession.

Set-pieces looked like being the most likely outlet for an opening goal as Joe Ralls’ whipped in free-kick narrowly evaded the head of Ishmael Miller, eventually running through to Tykes keeper Luke Steele.

In fact, the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock came from a Joe Edwards free-kick 10 minutes before the break.

The diminutive midfielder’s low pass found Kevin Dawson who in turn found Tom Lawrence inside the box, with the Manchester United loanee forcing a smart save from Steele at the expense of a corner.

The intensity remained after the break and Edwards was only denied a shot on goal from inside the box in the 46th minute by a brilliant covering tackle from Stephen Dawson, brother of Kevin.

Whilst the sloppy standard remained the deadlock was broken in the 53rd minute when Yeovil’s Byron Webster had a moment to forget.

The central defender didn’t get enough on a header back to Stech which allowed the alert O’Grady to steal in and lob the stranded Glovers keeper from just inside the box to give the visitors a much sought after lead.

Gary Johnson introduced both James Hayter and Liam Davis for Kieffer Moore and Kevin Dawson respectively, but Yeovil found themselves 2-0 down just past the hour mark.

Both Webster and Shane Duffy lost possession deep in their own half which allowed the increasingly influential Lawrence to capitalise and fire an effort past Stech from just inside the box to dampen the hosts’ survival hopes.

However, Johnson’s side responded well and grabbed a goal back five minutes later when Jamie McAllister’s low cross was fired home at the back post by Luke Ayling; the right-back’s second goal in three matches.

The home supporters’ spirits were only momentarily lifted however when Dale Jennings’ through ball beat the offside trap allowing O’Grady to calmly round Stech and make the score 3-1 with a quarter of an hour left to play.

Whilst some headed for the exits it got worse for Yeovil when Jennings’ jinking run from the left ended with the former Bayern Munich winger drilling an effort past Stech from the angle, boosting the Tykes survival hopes and making Yeovil’s return to League One all the more likely after an afternoon to forget.