YEOVIL Town brought an end to a run of six games without a win as they beat Blackpool 2-1 at Bloomfield Road on Saturday.

Despite the result, the Glovers remain bottom of the Championship, three points from safety.

James Hayter fired his side in front from the penalty spot on 16 minutes after Tony McMahon was adjudged to have handled in the area.

Tom Lawrence doubled the lead midway through the second half with a neat left-footed shot – and Elliot Grandin pulled one back from Blackpool two minutes later, but Yeovil held on for the win.

Manager Gary Johnson was delighted with the way his responded following last week’s drubbing at home to Barnsley, as his side completed the double over Blackpool.

He told the club’s official website: “We had a big meeting last night and they put in to words what they wanted to do in the next few games and then it was about whether they could put those words into action, and I thought they did that today.

“Everyone played their part and when Blackpool got in the box late on - and they were getting the ball in there as often as they could and their centre halves stayed up - we still got our heads onto it and were picking up the seconds so it was a great away performance and their crowd were frustrated and we absolutely frustrated them.

“To be fair, it was us who created it, not their own team. We stopped them doing anything they wanted to do and that was the perfect away performance. It got a bit shaky when Grandin scored from 30 odd yards but we held on and we put ourselves back in the frame.

“We played a lot of good football especially in the first half and kept the ball a lot better, although we’ve still probably got to do a little bit better than that; in the second half I’d have liked to have kept it. But we had runners today and willing workers and that was what we needed because we went down like a damp squib against Barnsley and didn’t have enough movement upfront like we had today.”

David Goodwillie went close to opening the scoring for Blackpool as he forced Chris Dunn into a strong save – and at the other end, Liam Davis’ powerful shot just drifted over.

Hayter converted his spot-kick, with a little help from the left-hand post to put Yeovil ahead – and Gary Mackenzie headed over from close range shortly after, as the half-time whistle was met with boos from the home fans.

Joel Grant had a great chance to double the lead early in the second half, but Lawrence went one better on 74 minutes as he tucked the ball through the legs of Gilks having been put through by one on one.

Blackpool’s response was immediate and Elliot Grandin’s 25-yard effort crept under Dunn to ensure a shaky final quarter for the visitors.

Andy Keogh blasted over the bar from 12 yards as Blackpool pushed for an equaliser, but it wasn’t to be as Yeovil sealed a survival lifeline with a valuable three points.