TEN-MEN Yeovil Town had to settle for a share of the spoils on Saturday in a 2-2 draw with Stockport County at Huish Park – although the Glovers came agonisingly close to grabbing a late victory.

Yeovil were reduced to ten men after goalkeeper Alex McCarthy was sent-off by referee Graham Scott in the 20th minute for a foul on County striker Nicholas Bignall to give away a penalty.

The crowd was incensed by the decision, although at first look it did look a penalty to me, but the decision by Mr Scott to send McCarthy off was slightly harsh in my opinion, although inevitable.

And then Carl Baker – who bravely played despite having suffered a family bereavement during the week – stepped up and converted the spot-kick past Yeovil’s substitute keeper Richard Martin to give the visitors the lead.

The crowd had been incensed by the penalty decision and the sending-off of McCarthy and were then somewhat baffled by Yeovil manager Terry Skiverton taking off playmaker Andy Welsh to allow Martin to take over the gloves.

Although those trio of decisions upset the Yeovil fans, what it did do was ignite a game which had, up until then, been rather tame entertainment. So you could say thank you Messrs Scott and Skiverton for livening up the proceedings!

It also brought Yeovil to life and they responded magnificently when Gavin Tomlin equalised for the Glovers in the 33rd minute.

But Yeovil went into the interval 2-1 down when Baker somehow twisted and turned despite being heavily marked and saw his shot creep inside the post on the stroke of half-time.

No doubt a few “select words” were spoken in the Yeovil dressing room at half-time and the Glovers came out firing in the second period.

Striker Sam Williams came on for Jon Obika and it was the former Aston Villa man who brought Yeovil level with a great header when he met Ryan Mason’s cross in the 68th minute.

Jean-Paul Kalala, making his first start for the Glovers since returning to Huish Park, put in a great performance in the midfield and nearly gave Yeovil the lead when his shot-come-cross nearly deceived Stockport’s Owain Fon Williams.

And then Mason came within inches of giving Yeovil the win when his effort went agonisingly wide of the target.

Yeovil will be kicking themselves at not having clinched the win over a disappointing Stockport side, but given the fact that they played the majority of the game with ten men, Glovers boss Skiverton was proud of his players for their efforts.

As for keeper McCarthy – he is now expected to serve a one-match ban and miss Yeovil’s trip to Southampton on Saturday.